Benjamin Horst CV
- Web Application Product Development and Team Management
- Web 2.0 and Wiki Community Administration
- Open Source Software Community Development
- Mandarin Chinese
Institute for Integrative Nutrition, New York, NY: July 2011 – Present
Web Development Manager
- Design and lead implementation of new features to optimize site utility;
- Architect, design and manage development of social media features for Institute graduates.
Shapeways Inc, New York, NY: January – June 2011
Front-End Product Lead
- Coordinated with company management and internal teams on strategic goals;
- Prioritized and scheduled new site features for social asset sharing platform with ecommerce;
- Managed development, UX and visual design team’s agile implementation process;
- Created site architecture, feature requirements and page wireframes.
Six Apart, New York, NY: April 2009 – December 2010
Project and Product Manager
- Developed project schedules and assigned tasks to developers and designers based on project Statements of Work;
- Translated client requests into technical feature documents, architected the implementation of products, and created wireframes and implementation schedules;
- Maintained regular client status communication;
- Coordinated and assigned new project work to project managers;
- Produced work estimates for project bids;
- Established timelines, design, requirements and specifications for internal company product development.
Freelance, New York, NY: 2008 – 2009
- XHTML/CSS and Drupal website development including information architecture, user interface design and project management (frequently in collaboration with SunRain Productions);
- Open Source consulting (especially Microsoft Office to OpenOffice.org migrations);
- Business development consulting and angel investor relationship management;
- Web application product management for Ecolada.com’s affiliate shopping aggregator.
Air America Media, New York, NY: June – November 2008
Interactive (Web) Project Manager
- Designed and developed feature enhancements for flagship web property and measured effectiveness of site changes;
- Collaborated with outsourced, remote team of designers/themers, programmers and Drupal experts (Advomatic) to implement customized site features;
- Trained internal users on best practices in content management.
Digital202, New York, NY: 2007 – 2008
Senior Project Manager
- Translated client requirements into detailed web application featureset;
- Planned and carried out development process with globally-distributed UI and programming team;
- Designed graphical user interfaces, site process flow, and application logic for Drupal CMS-based websites;
- Delivered final product to clients and arranged ongoing site maintenance packages.
SharedBook, Inc., New York, NY: 2004 – 2007
Product Manager, Community Manager and Information Architect
- Translated business requirements into software feature list and development plan;
- Designed graphical user interface and application logic for a web application;
- Managed development process of outsourced team in Israel;
- Maintained software specs using TWiki software;
- Managed full-time graphic/HTML designer and seasonal intern;
- Grew a community of developers interested in leveraging SharedBook’s public API.
Freelance Web Development and Graphic Design, Los Angeles, CA: 2003 – 2004
- Developed small business websites for a variety of clients including RMS Communications, Prickly Pear Island, Kirchhoff Companies and others;
- Used CafePress for e-commerce applications;
- Administered email systems using webhost infrastructure;
- Contributed to OpenOffice.org Marketing Project, authored “The Tiny Guide to OpenOffice.org.”
- Founder and president, Wikipages.com.
The Chazen Companies, Poughkeepsie, NY: 2001 – 2003
GIS Analyst and Planner
- Conducted GIS research and analysis for urban planning and civil engineering problems;
- Assessed site development potential using wetlands, soil, slope and orthophotographic data;
- Collected and managed company GIS data resources;
- Contributed to planning studies, Environmental Impact Statements, transportation studies, zoning and density analyses, and municipal master plans.
Vassar College Department of Geology and Geography, Poughkeepsie, NY: Spring 2003
GIS Lab Manager and Faculty Consultant
- Supported faculty and student use of GIS software including MapServer, ArcMap, and MapInfo;
- Managed and scheduled use of campus GIS computer lab;
- Assisted faculty and student research projects;
- Taught practical GIS workshops to department faculty and students.
Harvard Graduate School of Design, Cambridge, MA: 1999 – 2001
Help Desk Manager
- Provided computer systems technical assistance to faculty, staff and students;
- Instructed users in networking, large-format printing, GIS, CAD, modeling, graphic design, office suites and operating system software (Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows);
- Managed summertime student employees’ day-to-day activities.
Harvard Graduate School of Design: Master in Urban Planning, 2001
- Webmaster, Harvard Urban Planning Organization (HUPO);
- President, Harvard Mac Computing Group.
Vassar College: B.A., with Honors, 1999
- Habitat for Humanity Volunteer;
- Arcosanti Project Volunteer;
- Semester Abroad at Beijing Language and Culture University in Beijing, China.
- Maple Grove Mansion Restoration Project Volunteer;
- Arlington Business Improvement District Volunteer;
- Author, “The Tiny Guide to OpenOffice.org,” January, 2005;
- Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of America.
- Available upon request.